There are many signs you need mold remediation services in your NJ home. This article will show you what these signs are and where to look for them. Yes, mold can be found on food in the back of your refrigerator. However, It can also cause serious health issues for you and your family when it is growing on the wall, floor, or ceiling surfaces in your New Jersey home. Understanding what signs to look for will help you prevent a mold problem from spreading in your home or office.
The First Sign You Have Mold in Your NJ Home or Office:
Your allergies are acting up or you feel run down like you’re getting a cold. These symptoms include coughing, sneezing, scratchy throat, and itchy watery eyes. There are many other common symptoms like headache, nausea, postnasal drip, and many others. When you have these symptoms, it’s likely you have a mold problem in your home. It’s even more likely when these symptoms occur and just don’t want to go away. Is someone in your household feeling sick all the time? Do their symptoms get worse when they are home but get better when they leave the house? When this happens it is a sure sign of mold contamination in your New Jersey home.
Another Sign of Mold is a Musty Odor:
We have all been to a home that has a musty smell inside. Some call it old house smell. Others may call it a basement smell. The truth of the matter is that this musty smell is the mycotoxins that mold puts off protecting itself. This odor is also what makes people sick, and it is a clear signal that you have a need for mold remediation services in your NJ home or office.
It usually starts with moisture / condensation in a dark area of your home. This makes your dark, below grade basement a breeding ground for mold problems. It is important to run a dehumidifier in the basement of your NJ home or office to prevent this. Your bathroom or kitchen are two other likely areas where mold will likely grow. It is important to remember that even if you can’t see the mold, it doesn’t mean it can’t hurt you. Again, it is important to use a dehumidifier in your basement to prevent excess moisture from causing the need for mold removal services.
Previous Water Damage in Your Home:
If your home has previously flooded, you will need to have it inspected and tested for mold growth. Even though the water has dried up, it doesn’t mean that you won’t need to worry about a mold problem. Mold almost always grows after a flood has occurred. In-fact, it only takes 24-48 hours for it to start growing. This is why it’s so important to call a certified NJ mold inspection and testing company as soon as you experience a water damage problem.
When water damage is not dried up quickly and properly, you will likely be left with mold growing in the affected areas of your home or office. After a flood it’s important to check your basement for wet sheetrock and other moist surfaces. Drying these surfaces down within 24-48 hours is imperative. If you suspect a mold removal need you should look for professional help keep your home or office safe for its occupants.
Condensation Causes the Need for Mold Remediation:
Condensation and water leakage are often indicators that you have mold in your NJ home. Since mold is a fungus, it needs a wet environment to grow. Humidity, darkness, and condensation, especially in your basement, provides the perfect environment for mold to thrive. Signs of previous water damage in your home are stained sheetrock and or bubbling paint on cinderblock walls. You may not always see mold growth on the outside of damaged sheet rocked walls since they are painted. This is why you need to inspect the inside unpainted side. This is where the help of a professional mold inspector is critical. It is also why you should always call a certified professional licensed mold removal specialist when you suspect a problem.
One Final Sign of a Problem:
The most obvious of all the signs is when you see dark staining on a wall, floor, or ceiling surface. It is important to inspect your home on a regular basis for this type of staining. The most likely places include your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, and basement as these areas can provide a water source. Look out particularly for black staining but keep in mind that mold does come in a rainbow of colors. Also note that you should never disturb the area by wiping it or spraying it with any chemicals. This will cause it to aerosolize into the air where it can then circulate in your New Jersey home. Once this happens it can be ingested through the nose, eyes, or mouth. When this happens, it can be a health hazard to you and your family.
While mold can be potentially hazardous to your health, remember that not all mold is dangerous. Don’t let anyone scare you or your family! It is always best to call in a certified mold testing specialist to see if it is dangerous or not. This mold inspection and testing company should also determine the source of the problem. By fixing the source you assure that your mold problem will not return once the remediation process is complete.
In summary, you should inspect your home regularly for mold problems. If your allergies are worse than normal, that should raise a red flag. You may smell a musty or earthy smell you should be looking for the source of this smell. If you have had recent water damage you need to be on the lookout. Finally, if you see any kind of unusual staining on your walls, floors, or ceilings you need to hire a certified mold inspector. He’s the professional and will be able to test your air to make certain that you and your family are safe from any mold issues. Below are a few links with more information.